Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Korean Wine

Anyong hase yo!
I went to Seoul a few weeks ago and I thought I would blog to you all about Korean wine. I considered bringing it back for my wine enthused friends and was excited about the idea of that but..well it wasn't very good =). Some info on wines I tried:

1) Bohae Korea Raspberry wine: this is like a dessert wine, you can't really have too much but creative I thought. A shot at a time is about all you need, which is how we drank it. It wasn't bad. Actually tasted pretty good with the mandoo (dumplings) we were having.

2) Rice wine: I can't remember what brand exactly but Korean rice wine is white and cloudy in color. I tastes a bit like..well alcohol and not much else. Some of the other Amerians I was with really like it but I can't really say that myself. Unless you like to close your nose and drink =). I was intrigued with the idea of making rice out of wine so looked up the process. Apparently they ferment the rice starch. The alcoholic value is higher than most, about 18% if I remember correclty. Small wonder it tasted like alcohol.

Generally it is hard to find good wine in Asia as far as I can tell. Some vinyards in India produce a drinkable variety, the price difference sometimes makes them preferable.

In summary, I am not going to suggest any of our wine club country "themes" revolve around Asia, unless some of you know something I don't. Italy is much more appropriate, looking forward to seeing you all on the 28th at my place.

Payal

No comments:

Post a Comment